Monday 18 May 2015

Heighway Pinball: Part 5

I have recently completed seven days of work experience with Heighway Pinball between March & April 2015.
See part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4 or continue to part 6.


Graphics

John Matthews covers marketing and graphic design at Heighway. During my first week I spoke about the possibility of helping out with some graphics during one of my visits. I offer my help with the website as feel it could do with a few improvements. Quite honestly I don’t want to spend too much time with graphics, but it is an area I know so can offer some professional help in return for the work experience.

I already had an idea of how I could help a little bit with the website by revamping the news section. Before just a plain list of text links to different websites which feature news about Heighway Pinball. It was rather uninspiring and nobody really wanted to keep it up to date.

http://heighwaypinball.com/news/
The new layout for the Heighway Pinball news section

My plan was to improve the functionality for better management of the links (by using the built in Wordpress post type, including a featured image and external link). The external facing page was styled into a grid including images and paginated so it’s easier for the visitor to take in and find what they want quickly.

This may help in a very small way, to keep the site current and up to date. I suggested to Jon to look at different themes for the website, due to the fact the current theme is not responsive to different devices and therefore very hard to use on smaller screen sizes.

UK Pinball Party logo by John Matthews, Heighway Pinball

I got a quick look and gave some feedback on some of John’s other work, including the UK Pinball Party logo, before it was released to the public.

-

I have recently completed seven days of work experience with Heighway Pinball between March & April 2015. See part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4 or continue to part 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment